Saturday, June 23, 2012

dip bleached jean jacket DIY

I recently bought a boring old boxy jean jacket from Old Navy. I've been wanting one to wear over my summer dresses for quite sometime but never really found one I loved. I decided to make this one work. After I brought the sides in a little (seriously, the shape was super weird and un-flattering) I thought I would give bleaching it a try. Besides, if I messed up, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Also, I pretty much always assume I will mess up. Good thing I show DIYs on this blog, right?
The jacket started off boring and dark. I headed to Target, bought a bottle of Up&Up regular bleach and started my project making my first mistake. I did it in my bathroom. DON'T do this in your bathroom. Do it outside. My bathroom reeked of bleach and it was gross and I had a freakishly weird sneezing fit. See, you can learn from my mistakes.

How To:
1) Outside, mix a bucket (or a trash can if you're super cool) with half water and half bleach.
2) Put the bottom of the jacket (however high you would like to go) into the solution and leave for about 5 minutes.
3) Then push the jacket a bit deeper into the solution if you would like an ombre type effect. Leave in for another 5 minutes.
4) I then pushed it in a bit deeper and let it sit for, you guessed it, another 5 minutes.
5) Pour out the bleach and fill the bucket with water. Dip the bleached part of the jacket into the water to rinse out most of the bleach. Repeat if necessary.
6) Let drip dry.
7) After mostly dry, put it in the washing machine with detergent to get out the bleach smell.
8) Dry and you now have a pretty snazzy jacket!

it's yellow because the bleach I used is yellow, it washes out
Obviously, this is what I did to get my results. If you would like clean lines, use a bigger bucket and put your article of clothing on a hanger and dip it in like that.


Does this project remind you of a similar color scheme of a different DIY I did? If you try this out, I'd love to see your results.

No comments: